The company that specializes in life and travel insurance, and operate a wide variety of financial services.
AIG is an insurance provider in over 80 countries and jurisdictions. The company specializes in life and travel insurance and operate a wide variety of financial services. The company was founded in 1919 by a man named Cornelius Vander Starr. He started a general insurance agency in Shanghai under the name American Asiatic Underwriters. After years of expansion they changed their name to American International Group in 1967. Two years later they became a publicly traded company. In the early 2000’s AIG came under criminal investigation and suffered a series of setbacks. In 2008 they were hit hard by the recession and were helped by the bailout at that time. There was further litigation about how the bailout was handled. That was finally settled in 2015.
AIG's headquarters is in New York, NY with offices all over the world. They currently have several groups that specialize in different areas.
- AIG Direct
- American General Life Companies
- Western General
- AIG Life and Retirement
They're also associated with other agencies such as Lexington and Travel Guard.
Today AIG is a major insurance enterprise that assists countries when disaster strikes. AIG provided aid to Hurricane Katrina victims and also the earthquake/tsunami disaster in 2011. The question is, does AIG offer automotive insurance? Well, the answer is yes, and no. They do write auto coverage for private clients. This type of insurance isn't meant to be cost effective, because it's dealing with luxury items. AIG writes their policies for high value cars. If you have a fleet of luxury cars, and own a villa in Spain, as well as a mansion in Burbank, then AIG might be the right fit for you as an insurance an automotive insurance agency. The Private Client Group, as it has been called in a number of reviews, is designed for high-value policy holders, people whose net worth is in the millions or even billions.
Pros and Cons
- Comprehensive coverage for luxury automobiles.
- Some very nice perks available through the service.
- A- rating from the BBB
- It is for people with luxury vehicles or a fleet of luxury vehicles.
- The quoting process isn't user friendly.
- There are very few reviews online.
AIG Insurance Coverage
AIG's Private Client Group is the only way you can get insurance through the company. It doesn't technically exist but here we're talking about a company that insures countries. This is pretty big but let's go through the motions and pretend we can afford this.
- Higher coverage amounts Up to $1 million in liability can be included, and you can add umbrella coverage of up to $100 million.
- Agreed Value AIG car insurance policies can pay the agreed-upon value in the case of a total loss, instead of the current market value.
- Worldwide liability coverage AIG Private Client Group policies cover accidents around the world.
- Cash Settlement in the event of a 50 percent loss in value after an accident, you can take a cash settlement instead of repairing your vehicle.
- New Car Replacement AIG will replace your car with one of the same make, model, and year if your new car is totaled within three years. Or, you can choose the same make but go with a similar model, you can switch to an electric or hybrid drivetrain, for example.
- Rental Reimbursement grants that there is no per-day limit for rental vehicles under a Private Client Group policy, and you can pick a rental of comparable value to your own car. There is a $12,500 limit per rental occurrence.
- Original Equipment means the original manufacturer parts will be provided by AIG auto insurance to repair luxury and classic vehicles.
- Private Client Group policyholders can add coverage for art collections, yachts, wine collections, and other valuables. Clients can also get homeowners, life, and travel insurance through AIG.
It may seem absurd but AIG's auto policy does include some basics. Above are some of the options and add-ons available through the service, and below are their basic packages.
Standard Insurance Coverage
- Uninsured Motorist
- Underinsured Motorist
- Medical Payments (MedPay)
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
- Comprehensive Car Insurance
Car Insurance Rates
AIG has basic rates that are dependent on the state and the vehicle type. For example, the average annual rate for a vehicle in California is $3,688.93. They also charge depending on the vehicle as an example the Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye has an average annual rate of $3,768. That vehicle if it was damaged could blow a regular insurance company out of the water which is why their premiums are high and their financial backing is in the stratosphere. These rates are designed for high value assets.
There wasn't much explanation of how the quote works, so perhaps the price of the state, plus the price of the car is added together to create a more accurate quote. Information for the public about what actual pricing is, isn’t very clear online, so it may be worth your time, if you’re looking for luxury vehicle coverage, to contact AIG directly for a more accurate quote.
|Availability||50 states and international|
|Better Business Bureau Rating||B|
|AM Best Financial Strength Rating||A|
|Who It’s Best For||People with luxury car collections, high net worth individuals|
Car Insurance Discounts
There are no discernible discounts and there is no bundling available however if you become a member of this highly elite group you will have access tooter forms of insurance. If discounts are what you’re searching for, then AIG isn’t the company for you.
AIG Insurance Vs. Competitors
AIG doesn't really compete with other insurance agencies since they're technically not an auto insurance company at all. They are an insurance company sort of. They do work with Life insurance and Travel insurance but their scope has changed over the years so they focus more on financial services. The insurance listed is more of a perk for a different service all together.
The AIG Private Client Group is what the automotive insurance falls under. They are a small select group of clients with an expansive portfolio of property and possessions. This group deals with risk management for the ultra-wealthy, to mitigate the risk of their complex lifestyle, as AIG says. The services provided include proactive loss prevention and claims. Their areas of focus are homeowners with high end properties, private collections of wine, jewelry, couture, fine art, or any expensive collection, excess liability to safeguard family and assets, automobile, and yachts. They also present additional products and services but don't have much detail about what those services might be. The concept of a risk mitigation company specifically geared towards high-end clients is certainly intriguing.
Ultimately, if we were to pitch AIG against their competitors, AIG would work out well against any company. They offer good benefits, and their customer service is next to none. They certainly have a personal touch. Their availability is good, and they have a versatile list of options and benefits. If you’re looking for a company with a personal feel, that will be responsive to your needs, then AIG might be the one for you.