With a name that was derived from the most reliable tire on the market, this company has kept rolling longer than any tire ever could.
“You're in good hands,” you can almost hear it in your head as you read it. Allstate as a company was founded in 1931 and have carved out a niche for themselves. Allstate was started by Sears Roebuck and sold policies through direct mail. The name was derived from the tires Sears sold in their stores but the insurance eventually eclipsed the tire brand. In 1993 Sears sold off part of the company and by 1995 Allstate was operating as an independent company. A year later they launched allstate.com and in 2017 they sat at 79 on the Fortune 500. They have fourteen separate companies under their banner including Encompass and Castle Key Insurance Company and are the largest publicly traded insurance company in the in US.
Pros and Cons
- Allstate has a reputation for driver’s safety and training.
- Bundling is available making Allstate a kind of one stop shop for individual insurance needs.
- Intuitive online services allow for great customization of personal policies.
- Unique sound system coverage offered to protect high-end audio equipment.
- Poor customer service rating for a company of its size.
- Six-month policies allow for too many opportunities for rate increases.
- Student Away at School doesn't appear on the online quoting system forcing customers to speak with an agent.
Allstate Insurance Coverage
Allstate has is a huge company with several companies under its umbrella. Its auto insurance offers all the basic insurance people rely on but they also have a lot of add-ons and options that will personalize individual policies quickly and easily.
- Roadside Assistance/Towing and Labor is a limited service that will cover the first $100 for tire, tow, or lock out. They do have two other roadside assistance plans the first is a motor club and the second is a pay-per-use service program.
- Rental Car Reimbursement offers reimbursement up to $100/day for a rental vehicle.
- Sound System add-on insures the policy holder's permanently installed sound system for up to $2,500.
- New Car Replacement Coverage helps to replace the policy holder's brand-new car if its totaled with the same make and model.
- New Car Repair Provision Coverage covers a portion of the repair cost of new car that is damaged but not totaled.
- GAP Coverage covers the difference between actual cash value of vehicle and the remaining balance on rental or lease
- Deductible Awards offers $100 dollars off the policy holder's deductible for every year without a claim up to a maximum of $500.
These are some of the options available with Allstate. Some of these add-ons and options may not be available in all states. It is always best to check on their website or with an agent for specific options state by state.
Standard Insurance Coverage
- Bodily Injury and Property Damage
- Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist
- Medical Expense Coverage
- Personal Injury Protection
- Glass Coverage
Car Insurance Rates
Allstate's rates are on average more expensive. They do offer a lot of options for coverage and they do operate throughout the United States. The average price nationally for low coverage through Allstate is at $4,628.03. While those numbers stay consistently high, Allstate’s lowest rate in Massachusetts was $2,708.53, and the highest rate was in Michigan at $22,902.59 annually.
|Driver Profile||Average Quote|
|18-Year-Old||$212 / month|
|21-Year-Old||$107 / month|
|45-Year-Old with a Speeding Ticket||$112 / month|
|45-Year-Old with a DUI||$240 / month|
|55-Year-Old||$79 / month|
|65-Year-Old||$78 / month|
Car Insurance Discounts
Allstate offers a truly dizzying number of discounts, which help in reducing policy rates. Not all of these discounts will be available depending on state laws.
- Drivewise is an ongoing discount between 10-40% to download the Drivewise app which will monitor driving habits. So long as policy holders utilize the app, they will receive the discount.
- Passive Restraint Discount if the insured vehicle is equipped with airbags and seatbelts policy holders can receive up to 15% discount.
- New Car Discount up to 30% discount if the policy holder is the original owner of the insured vehicle.
- EZ Pay Plan Discount is given to policy holders who elect to use automatic payment for their premiums.
- eSmart Discount utilizing online bill pay can give a discount
- Full Pay Discount for paying six-month premium up front.
- Multiple Policy Discount bundling home or other services with policyholder’s automobile insurance can receive a discount.
- Early Signing Discount is available if policy holder signs on insurance a week or more before insurance takes effect,
- Good Payer Discount 5% discount for timely payment for a year without a cancellation notice.
- Senior Adult Discount for policy holders who are over 55 and not looking for work.
- Resident Student Discount for students who go 100 miles or more for school and don't take the vehicle with them.
- Good student Discount is available for younger drivers who maintain a b average or higher.
- Premier Discount if a policy holder can go 36 months without a driving violation or accident, they are eligible for a 22% discount.
- Premier Plus Discount policy holder goes 60 months without traffic violation or accidents and they will be eligible for a 35% discount.
- TeenSMART Discount for teen drivers who complete an approved driver training course.
- Defensive Driver Discount for policy holder s over 55 who complete a defensive driving course
Allstate Insurance Vs. Competitors
Allstate is a well-known and popular company with years of experience and while their services are at times more expensive, they do offer considerable versatility and customer service. We will compare Allstate to two competitors below to give potential customers a clearer view of what each company brings to the table to give a more informed decision on what is available in the industry.
Allstate Insurance Vs Nationwide: Allstate is the number 3 insurance company in the US and Nationwide rings in at number 8. IN terms of cost both companies are fairly evenly split sometimes Nationwide is more expensive and at other times Allstate is the more expensive option. The average monthly premium for a male age 18-40 in LA is $290 at Allstate and $262 at Nationwide. Alternatively, for the same male in Chicago Allstate charges $129 and Nationwide charges $184. Overall, they offer similar services although Allstate has more options and lines available than Nationwide. Allstate is likely the better choice but it will depend on the individual needs of the driver and the rates available.
Allstate Insurance Vs Travelers: is not as widely available as Allstate but for those states that Travelers does operate it is cheaper overall and offers slightly more coverage options than Allstate. The national average monthly rate for Travelers is $182.66 and Allstate averages to $238.40. Both are more expensive than the national average across all companies but this comparison comes down to price because they offer much the same service. However, the customer experience is slightly better at Allstate which may be worth the higher premium.