They have several product lines, and will insure your house and anything in the garage.
SafeCo sells their products exclusively through independent agents and agencies licensed to sell their products. Safeco's website allows you to see start an online quote but that quote will be forwarded to an agent so there isn't any method to skirt the agent aspect and traditionally that means a higher rate for insurance premiums. SafeCo is an everything and the kitchen sink kind of company. They have several product lines and will insure your house and anything in the garage. They are a mutual insurance company and as such they do sell a wide array of product lines.
Pros and Cons
- 24/7 online claims
- Flexible coverage options and a wide array of lines.
- Solid user-friendly website
- Below average customer service reviews.
- Confusing billing process.
- Higher than average pricing.
SafeCo Insurance Coverage
Safeco has the look and feel of a pawn shop where someone along the way asked for it so they decided to sell it. That being said they do offer a lot of options and add-ons but much like Spirit airlines you'll pay for it making the relative low-cost insurance into a much more expensive bill. As always, these options aren't available in all areas.
- First aid reimbursement covers up to $10,000 for first aid in the event of an accident.
- Accident forgiveness After a certain number of years with no accidents or violations, SafeCo won’t raise your rates after your first accident.
- Diminishing deductible for each year you don't make a claim, your collision deductible will reduce each year by $100, up to $500 or five years.
- Rideshare coverage if you drive for a rideshare this feature will cover you between rides when rideshare companies don't insure your vehicle.
- New car replacement in the event your car is totaled or stolen, and is less than one year old, SafeCo will pay to replace the vehicle.
- Personal property coverage pays out if your belongings are damaged in an accident or stolen from your car. Typically, this is covered by renters or homeowner’s insurance if you have it.
- Emergency assistance package includes roadside assistance and personal property protection, plus up to $100 for expenses and up to $500 for meals, lodging and transportation if you’re in an accident more than 25 miles from home.
- Gap coverage If your car is totaled or stolen, SafeCo will pay the difference between how much is left on your loan or lease and the value of your car.
- Electronic key and lock replacement pays to replace lost or stolen electronic keys, remote control pads and locks, with no deductible.
- CD and DVD replacement covers audio-visual media such as DVDs, CDs and videotapes in the event they are damaged or stolen.
- Custom equipment coverage will protect equipment that was not installed at the factory or dealership, including permanently installed audiovisual equipment, a modified or custom engine, roll bars, custom wheels, murals and decals.
- Pet coverage for veterinary expenses or death benefit if pet is injured or dies in a collision.
- Glass Repair and Replacement If your car’s glass is damaged, you can get it repaired for free or replaced at your deductible rate at a repair shop of your choice, or one of the dozens of Safelite Solutions’ locations.
- SafeCo Claims Valet Service SafeCo will provide a ride if you are stranded due to an accident.
- SafeCo RightTrack RightTrack is an app that tracks your driving habits and may give you a discount for safe driving. This feature isn't available in all states.
SafeCo does have some standard insurance options available, although their add-ons are much more prolific.
Standard Insurance Coverage
- Personal Injury Protection
Car Insurance Rates
In general, SafeCo is more expensive than their competitors by a wide margin. Part of this is because they work solely with independent agents who work on commission. In a comparison with other companies SafeCo charged an 18-year-old male $9,806 for twelve months of coverage compared to Farmers at $8,042 and strangely Allstate was the cheapest at $6, 670 for the same coverage. Rates can however vary widely and it depends on what state you're in, what your credit rating is, how old you are, etc. all of these small factors demonstrate risk to insurance companies.
Car Insurance Discounts
- Multi-policy discount (bundling)
- Safe driver discount
- Accident prevention course discount
- Discount for using Teen Safety Awards, a collection of tools benefits and discounts created to help your teen become a safer driver
- Multi-car discount
- Low-mileage discount
- Discount for adding an anti-theft device to your vehicle
- Anti-lock brakes discount.
SafeCo Insurance Vs. Competitors
SafeCo might not measure up well to many of their competitors because their customer complaints are on average higher than the national average. There have also been issues with their claims process and how expeditiously they move the claim forward. That's not to say the Progressive or GEICO or really any companies are guilt free. Customer service is one of the main measures apart from rates, and when it comes to such a nebulous concept as insurance, it gets tricky. People don't think about it unto they need it, and in those moments, the odds are good something bad has happened. That being said, SafeCo's customer claim execution is below average nationally, and their customer satisfaction is typically low as well. Such high rates, and customer dissatisfaction, make this company difficult to like. Here’s a comparison between SafeCo and three competitors, to see how they measure up against them.SafeCo Insurance VS. GEICO
Progressive Vs. SafeCo Insurance: Progressive and SafeCo measure up in much the same way that the previous entry did. In most areas they were very similar in terms of versatility. Where they diverged somewhat is with their apps. SafeCo had a slightly better interface than Progressive did and their customer satisfaction ranked about the same in many regards. Progressive was a little better in the customer service and claims department and mostly it was cheaper than SafeCo because Progressive is a direct buy. This one will come up to personal choice.
SafeCo Vs. Allstate: There was a lot of data that was very similar when comparing these two companies. Allstate is more widely available, and they have better customer service. Overall SafeCo is technically less expensive, but it was dependent on minimal add-ons, and while there are discounts available for both companies, the edge is still with Allstate. Although it all depends on your needs. There are several sources to do your own comparisons, and determine what is best for you and your needs.